be2

ITEMNUMBER

REGION OR CITY, CITY OR SECTOR

special

SHORTINFO

be2.2011

Vlaams-Brabant, Halle

C Servais °and †

be2.2012

Vlaams-Brabant, Halle

F Servais

be2.2021

Vlaams-Brabant, Gooik

J folklore

be2.2031

Vlaams-Brabant, Vilvoorde

Poot°

be2.2051

Vlaams-Brabant, Leuven [Louvain]

K

be2.2052

Vlaams-Brabant, Leuven

N

be2.2054

Vlaams-Brabant, Leuven Heverlee

H

be2.2071

Vlaams-Brabant, Tienen

Mozart

be2.2072

Vlaams-Brabant, Tienen

K

be2.2091

Vlaams-Brabant, Aarschot

O Meulemans°

be2.2111

Limburg, Hasselt

K - J carillon

be2.2201

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen [Anvers]

E Bull a.o.

be2.2202

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

Q opera

be2.2203

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

Q former opera

be2.2205

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

special

J instruments

be2.2206

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

J printing

be2.2208

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

H

be2.2209

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

H

be2.2211

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

H Q N

be2.2215

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

E Benoit

be2.2216

prov. Antwerpen , Antwerpen

CBenoit

be2.2221

prov. Antwerpen , Schoten

Bull

be2.2242

prov. Antwerpen , Lier

F O Veremans

be2.2244

prov. Antwerpen , Lier

E Bredemers

be2.2261

prov. Antwerpen , Mechelen [Malines]

L musical history

be2.2262

prov. Antwerpen , Mechelen

B - carillon I J

be2.2263

prov. Antwerpen , Mechelen

N carillon

be2.2265

prov. Antwerpen , Mechelen

(N) Beethoven

be2.2266

prov. Antwerpen , Mechelen

O Beethoven

be2.2301

Oost-Vlaanderen, Gent [Gand]

Q

be2.2302

Oost-Vlaanderen, Gent

H N Bijloke

be2.2304

Oost-Vlaanderen, Gent

R H

be2.2307

Oost-Vlaanderen, Gent

F O de Geyter

be2.2308

Oost-Vlaanderen, Gent

C de Geyter

be2.2321

Oost-Vlaanderen, Sinaai

J Tinel

be2.2322

Oost-Vlaanderen, Sinaai

E Tinel

be2.2401

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge [Bruges]

B mus. history

be2.2403

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

special

L J - history

be2.2404

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

F Ryelandt°

be2.2405

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

E Ryelandt

be2.2406

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

N - Ryelandt

be2.2408

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

O (Korngold)

be2.2409

West-Vlaanderen, Brugge

H

be2.2421

West-Vlaanderen, Haringe

K

be2.2431

West-Vlaanderen, Dranouter

J folklore

be2.2441

West-Vlaanderen, Roeselare

CWillaert°

be2.2451

West-Vlaanderen, Harelbeke

FM Benoit°

be2.2452

West-Vlaanderen, Harelbeke

C Benoit

be2.2461

West-Vlaanderen, Kortrijk [Courtrai]

B - Vaet, La Rue

be2.2471

West-Vlaanderen, Ronse

J de Rore

be2.2011

C Servais °and †

Grote Markt,Halle

The cellist Adrien-François Servais (1807-1866) was considered the 'Paganini of the cello' and was one of the leading teachers at the Brussels conservatory. His birthplace in Halle (Handbooghof) has been demolished but, being a lifetime citizen, he was honoured with a monument on the central square.

be2.2011

be2.2012

F Servais

Servaislaan 8,Halle

Monumental villa of Adrien-François Gervais, built by his order in 1847 and his home for de rest of his life.

be2.2012

be2.2021

J folklore

Dorpsstraat 67,Gooik

Volksinstrumentenmuseum De Cam

This building, already mentioned in 1515 as Des Heeren Landscamme, is a café, an outlet of Geuze beer and it houses the collection of c 400 folk instruments of Herman Dewit, member of the folk ensemble ‘t Kliekske. A folklore festival takes place since 1996 during the first weekend of July.

be2.2031

Poot°

Vilvoorde

ontbreekt

be2.2051

K

Schapenstraat, Groot Begijnhof,Leuven

Sint-Jan-de-Doperkerk

Fine organ positive by Peter Goltfuss, 1696; 11 stops + rossignol and tremblant.

be2.2051

be2.2052

N

Herestraat 53,Leuven

Lemmensinstituut

The Lemmens Institute for the education of church musicians was established in 1879 in Mechelen by the organist and teacher Jaak Lemmens. It moved to Leuven in 1968 and the present Institute of Sacred Music has the status of a music academy.

be2.2054

H

Abdij van Park 7,Leuven Heverlee

Huis van de Polyfonie

This historical building houses a research centre of ancient music of the Low Countries, a concert hall and a collection of instruments under the aegis of the Alamire Foundation.   cf www.alamirefoundation.org

be2.2054

be2.2071

Mozart

Grote Markt 3,Tienen

De Tinnen Schotel

The Mozart family stayed in October 1763 in Hôtel d’Autriche. The building was altered in 1830 and is today the seat of the municipal cultural service and the music school.

be2.2072

K

Veemarkt 36,Tienen

Sint-Germanuskerk

Organ by Jan Deeckens, 1673, in a case from 1493; II/p/24. The carillon of the church is by Willem Witlockx, 1723, and has 54 bells.

be2.2072

be2.2091

O Meulemans°

Theo de Beckerstraat 44,Aarschot

De Kleyne Moriaen

Plaque of the composer Arthur Meulemans (1884-1966). His birthplace at Leuvense straat 12 exists  no longer; here he spent his youth. He was the most prolific Flemish composer of the 20th century; his oeuvre covers c 350 works, including 14 symphonies.

be2.2091a
be2.2091b

be2.2111

K - J carillon

Vismarkt,Hasselt

Sint-Quintinuskathedraal

The organ by Binvignat an Houdtappel from 1791 has retained pipes from the foregoing instruments, including some by Niehoff from 1593. III/p/34.

Climbing the tower is a journey through the ages. The base is from the 11th, the middle part from the 13th century; in the 18th century spire, one finds the carillon bells and keyboard, an exhibition and a video presentation of a bell foundry. 

be2.2111

be2.2201

E Bull a.o.

Handschoenmarkt,Antwerpen

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe-Kathedraal

Renowned composers worked in the gothic cathedral of Antwerp: Ockeghem as singer, Jacob Barbireau as chapel master (for 43 years), succeeded by Obrecht (from 1491 to ’96). Hubert Waelrant was singer, besides music editor, and died in Antwerp in 1595. Andries Pevernage was chapel master (1578-†1591) and John Bull organist  (1615-†1628). Barbireau, Pevernage and Bull were buried in the church. The Hemony carillon comprises 47 bells.

be2.2202

Q opera

Frankrijklei 1,Antwerpen

Kon. Vlaamse Opera

The Flemish Opera in Antwerp – ‘Royal’ since 1920 ─ was built in 1907 and cooperates with the opera in Gent. The habit of presenting all operas in Dutch translation has been abandoned in the course of the 20th century. 

be2.2203

Q former opera

Komedieplaats 18,Antwerpen

Bourlaschouwburg

The splendid Bourlaschouwburg has been named after its architect, Pierre-Bruno Bourla. It was built between 1827 and 1834 and became the Théâtre Royal Français which offered French and Italian operas until 1933.

be2.2205

J instruments

Vleeshouwersstraat 38,Antwerpen

Museum Vleeshuis

The 16th century Vleeshuis [butchers’ hall] houses a  museum with exhibits about the musical history of the town and a fine collection of instruments, with special attention for Antwerp’s famous harpsichord makers, incl. Ruckers, Couchet and Dulcken.  www.museum.antwerpen.be/vleeshuis

be2.2206

J printing

Vrijdagmarkt 22, Antwerpen

Museum Plantin Moretus

Well preserved house and factory of the printers Christophe Plantin and his successors Moretus from 1576 until 1876; it became a museum already in 1877. The collection of early printing equipment includes many music typefaces and in the library are 500 musical works. Antwerp was an important centre of book printing, Phalesius and Tylman Susato were the most famous printers who specialized in music.

be2.2208

H

Kammenstraat 81,Antwerpen

AMUZ

The baroque church of St Augustinus was transferred into a concert hall and an important platform for the yearly Flanders Festival (Aug.-Sept.) with an emphasis on historically informed performances.

be2.2208a

be2.2209

H

Koningin Astridplein 26,Antwerpen

Koningin Elisabethzaal

Large concert hall from 2016 with up to 2000 seats and excellent acoustics thanks to the completely wooden interior. Home of the Antwerp SO.

be2.2209

be2.2211

H Q N

Desguinlei 25,Antwerpen

deSingel nb: moet aanelkaar

The large complex deSingel houses a theatre hall (800 seats), a concert hall (940 seats), the Research centre of Flemish Music SVM, and the art academy Artesis Plantijn Hogeschool, in which the Royal Flemish Conservatory has been integrated. The latter originated from the modest municipal music school, in 1867 renamed Vlaamsche Muziekschool, of which Peter Benoit was its first director. It became a Royal Conservatory in 1898.

be2.2215

E Benoit

Krijgsbaan WilrijkAntwerpen

Schoonselhof

Peter Benoit (1834-1901) was the emancipator of the Flemish music. He laid the foundations for the Flemish Conservatory and the Flemish opera and his compositions show a predilection for choral music and nationalist content. He was also conductor in the concert hall in this park ─ not in use anymore ─  and a large monument in his honour was erected here.

be2.2216

CBenoit

Mechelsesteenweg,Antwerpen

Harmoniepark

Grave of Peter Benoit, †1901.

be2.2221

Bull

Deurnevoetweg 10,Schoten

Papenhof / Withof

The English organist and composer John Bull (1562-1628) moved to Flanders for religious reasons. He lived in this building, which more recently was rebuilt into an apartment house; some 17th century elements may have been retained (not verified).

be2.2242

F O Veremans

Antwerpsestraat 55,Lier

Birthplace of the composer Renaat Veremans (1894-1969). He worked as a teacher at the Antwerp Conservatory and as conductor of the Flemish opera. As a composer he followed in the footsteps of Benoit and many of his works became popular among his compatriots.

be2.2242a
be2.2242b

be2.2244

E Bredemers

Kardinaal Mercierplein,Lier

St. Gommarus

The organist and teacher Henry Bredemers (1472-1522) worked at the court of Philipp II in Spain and of Margaret of Austria in Mechelen. In 1516 he retired to Lier and was buried in this church.

be2.2261

L musical history

Keizerstraat Mechelen

Paleis van Margaretha van Oostenrijk

During the era of governor Margaret of Austria, 1507-1530, Mechelen was the capital of Burgundia. In her palace worked Henry Bredemers as teacher and the great Pierre de La Rue as singer and composer; one of his masses is entitled O gloriosa Margaretha. The fine renaissance building became a court of justice.

be2.2262

B - carillon I J

Grote Markt,Mechelen

Sint-Romboutskathedraal

Mechelen became an archbishopric in 1559. Philippus de Monte, born here in 1521, was a chorister in the cathedral before he made his career in Italy, England, Munich, Vienna and Prague, where he died in 1603.

The old carillon has 49 bells, of which the oldest are from the 15th century and 27 were cast by the great Pieter Hemony; the mechanical improvements by Jef Denyn in 1894 found universal acceptance. The belfry , which also contains a second carillon from 1981, is accessible to the public.

be2.2263

N carillon

Bruul 52,Mechelen

Kon. Beiaardschool

The foundries of the families of Waghevens and Van den Gheyn brought fame to Mechelen as a carillon centre since the 16th century. This position was strengthened by the establishment of a school for carillonists by Jef Denyn in 1922 ─ worldwide the first of its kind.    www.beiaardschool.be

be2.2263

be2.2265

(N) Beethoven

Wollemarkt,Mechelen

Koraalschool

Ph. de Monte may have been a pupil of the Koraalschool, but a later boy for sure was: Louis van Beethoven (1712-1774). He moved to Bonn in 1733, became a musician and later the Kapellmeister at the elector’s court. There wouldn’t be an amusing statue of his at the square if he hadn’t been the grandfather of Ludwig van Beethoven.

be2.2264
be2.2264x

be2.2266

O Beethoven

Van Beethovenstraat 8, Haverwerf,Mechelen

(brewery Lamot)

The birthplace of Louis van Beethoven was demolished but is marked by a plaque on the former Lamot brewery. Nearby, at the Haverwerf, is an attractive Beethoven monument by Jean-Paul Laenen with on the floor two plaques, commenting Beethoven’s Flemish descent from resp. Louis’s and Ludwig’s view.

be2.2266a
be2.2266b
be2.2266c

be2.2301

Q

Schouwburgstraat 3,Gent

Kon. Vlaamse Opera

The opera house of Gent was built in 1837-40; the architect Louis Roelandt created a theatre hall with up to 2000 seats – today 1000 ─ and two luxurious halls for festivities. It is the second platform of the Royal Flemish Opera, a cooperation of Antwerp and Gent. 

be2.2302

H N Bijloke

Bijlokekaai 7, Jozef Kluyskensstraat 2,Gent

De Bijloke - Koninklijk Conservatorium

The 13th century Bijloke complex served as a hospital until 1983, when it was converted into a music centre which contains a very characteristic concert hall with 820 seats, another one with 238 seats in the Kraakhuis and the Royal Conservatory, originally established in 1835 as Académie de Musique.

be2.2302a
be2.2302b

be2.2304

R H

Bomastraat 24-28,Gent

Logos Tetrahedron

The Logos Foundation, founded in 1968 by Godfried-Willem Raes, is an institute for research and production of experimental music genres, such as musical robotics and audio art (algorithms, computed music). It has a concert hall for performances of experimental music and dance. Greatest eye- and ear-catcher: the Logos robot orchestra.

be2.2307

F O de Geyter

Kanunnikstraat 8,Gent

Birthplace of Pierre de Geyter (1848-1932), a workman and amateur composer who lived in France. His fame rests on one composition: the song L’Internationale on words by Eugène Pottier. It became the ‘international anthem’ of the working class and is still sung during socialist gatherings over the world.

be2.2307

be2.2308

C de Geyter

Minnemeers 10,Gent

Industriemuseum

Monument of Pierre de Geyter (1999).

be2.2308

be2.2321

J Tinel

Edgar Tinelstraat 31-33,Sinaai

Birthplace of the composer Edgar Tinel (1854-1912). He became the successor of Lemmens at the Institute for church music in 1881; his religious works drew most the attention, his oratorio Franciscus (1888) also abroad. Since 1909 he was the director of  the conservatory of Brussels. An exhibition about his life and works can be visited on the first Sunday afternoon of each month.

be2.2322

E Tinel

Dries,Sinaai

Sint-Catharinakerkhof

Grave of Edgar Tinel, †1912.

be2.2401

B mus. history

Sint-Salvatorskoorstraat 8,Brugge

Sint-Salvatorskathedraal

Between 1450 and 1550, Brugge was the most prosperous town of the Low Countries and went through a ‘golden age’ of art and music. The composers Jacob Obrecht, Lupus Hellinck and Clemens non Papa worked at the cathedral of St Donaas. After its destruction in 1799 by the French army, the St Salvator became the cathedral of Brugge, the church at which Antoine Busnois ended his career as ‘rector cantoriae’ until his death in 1492.

be2.2403

L J - history

Dijver 17,Brugge

Gruuthusemuseum

The palace of the rich Gruuthuse family gives the best impression of Brugge’s ‘golden age’. Among the splendid  furnishings and works of art, also some musical instruments are displayed. The late 14th century ‘Gruuthuse manuscript’, a important collection of c 150 songs with musical notation, was commissioned from this house; it is one of the most important sources of medieval (folk)songs in the Dutch language.

be2.2404

F Ryelandt°

Dijver 6 + 13,Brugge

At the same Dyver street are two houses of the composer Baron Joseph Ryelandt (1870-1966). His birthplace is at nr 6; between 1899 and 1911 he lived at nr 13. His last house, a monumental villa named David, was demolished (see photo). Ryelandt’s vocal works show the same commitment with religious subjects as do those of his teacher Tinel, but he also composed attractive other works in late romantic style.

be2.2404

be2.2405

E Ryelandt

Blankenbergse Steenweg 227,Brugge

Begraafplaats Brugge-Sint-Pieters

Grave of Joseph Ryelandt, †1966, at the cemetery behind St Peter’s church.

be2.2406

N - Ryelandt

Sint-Jacobsstraat 23,Brugge

Stedelijk Conservatorium

Ryelandt became the director of the municipal conservatory, the sequel to a music school from 1841. There is a room devoted to the memory of the composer and the David sculpture from his demolished villa adorns the front of the historic building.    

be2.2408

O (Korngold)

Jan van Eyckplein 8,Brugge

Roode Steen'

From the 17th century onwards, Brugge lost its economical significance and sunk into a modest provincial town; ‘a dead city’, as it was called by the writer George Rodenbach. His novel Bruges-la-Morte (1897) forms the subject of the opera Die tote Stadt (1920) by the prodigy Erich Wolfgang Korngold – his best known work. At the medieval house is a plaque, commemorating Rodenbach.

be2.2408a
be2.2408b

be2.2409

H

't Zand 34,Brugge

Concertgebouw

A brand new concert hall by the architects Robbrecht and Daem was erected on the occasion of the election of Brugge as ‘cultural capital’ of 2002.

be2.2421

K

Haringplein 7,Haringe

Sint-Martinuskerk

Organ by Lambertus Benoit van Peteghem, 1778. It remained in its original state, never altered to suit changing fashions. It has 2 manuals and a half echo manual, a pull-down pedal, 29 stops and tambour.

be2.2421

be2.2431

J folklore

Dikkebusstaat 234,Dranouter

Folk Experience Museum

Interactive museum of folk music; yearly Folk Festival in August.

be2.2441

CWillaert°

St. Michaelsplein,Roeselare

The composer Adrian Willaert was born here in c 1490. A monument by Rob Deblaere was erected against the south wall of St Michael’s church. Willaert moved to Italy in 1515 and in 1527 to Venice, where he worked until his death in 1562. He is one of the most versatile and influential composers of his time and is considered the inventor of the writing for double choirs, or at least the first one who brought this to perfection.

be2.2441a
be2.2441b

be2.2451

FM Benoit°

Marktstraat 55,Harelbeke

Birthplace and adjacent museum of the champion of the Flemish music, Peter Benoit (> 2215). Established by Paul Vandebuerie, whose collection of 4000 folksongs is kept here too. The last renovation in 2002 resulted into a surprising audiovisual presentation.

By the way, Harelbeke was also the birthplace of two well known 16th century composers, Jacobus Vaet (c 1529) and Andreas Pevernage (1543).

be2.2451

be2.2452

C Benoit

Stationsstraat,Harelbeke

Stadspark

Monument of Peter Benoit by Alfred Courtens, 1951.

be2.2452

be2.2461

B - Vaet, La Rue

Deken Zegerplein 1,Kortrijk

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk

Jacobus Vaet was chorister in the Church of Our Lady in the 1530s, Pierre de La Rue was canon in the church after his post in Mechelen (> 2261) until his death in 1518. Probably he has been buried here. Andreas Pevernage was choir master from 1564 until 1578.

be2.2471

J de Rore

Priesterstraat,Ronse

Sint-Hermesbasiliek

Monument of the composer Cypriano de Rore (1515-1565). Rore was born in Ronse. He worked in Italy and was especially a great composer of 125 madrigals, of which Anchor che col partire became the most famous.

be2.2471